This is a feel good food when I was young. Mum will make this dish whenever possible and it always fill my stomach when I am hungry. I am trying to recreate this dish as close to my mum’s recipe so that I can cook it anytime.
200g glutinous rice (2 serving pax)
4 Mushrooms (香菇)
1 stick Chinese sausage (腊肠) (sliced)
10g dried shrimps (虾米)
100g pork loin (sliced/cubed depending on liking)
1 clove garlic (diced)
2 clove shallots (sliced)
1 tsp dark soy sauce (for coloring)
Marinate (for pork loin)
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp corn flour
Dash of sesame seed oil
Dash of pepper
Sliced spring onion
- Soak glutinous rice in water for 2 hours.
- Soak mushroom and dried shrimps in water for 1 hour.
- Slice the mushroom when softened.
- Marinate pork loin for 1 hour.
*Note: Keep the water used to soak the shrimp and mushroom for later.
- Heat up wok with mixture of oil and sesame seed oil.
- Fry the garlic and shallots until browned.
- Throw in the loin meat and cook to 50% done.
- Throw in the mushroom, shrimp, sausage and mix well.
- Throw in the drained glutinous rice and mix well. Add in some of the water reserved from the preparation stage to moisten the mixture.
- Add in the dark soy sauce and mix well.
- Scoop the content to a steam container.
- Steam the rice for 30 mins under slow fire.
- Sprinkle spring onions and fried shallots on rice when done.
Suggested eating method
- Warm it up by steaming for 5 mins
- Add pepper, sesame seeds and/or crushed peanuts.